Explore ancient cities, glaciers, forests and meadows as you travel from Tbilisi to Istanbul
This all-encompassing trip takes you from the lush green slopes of Georgia's Mestia valley to the crowded spice markets of Istanbul. Reconnect with nature on hikes through wooded forests and past the mountainous Chaladi glacier. Indulge your inner history buff as you stand on the steps of the Blue Mosque, wander the ramparts of the Narikala Fortress, learn the secrets of Georgian cheese making and join the homely ruckus of a Turkish tavern.
This is the perfect trip for history buffs, taking in ancient historical sites from across Georgia and Turkey
Journey to the Svaneti region, a remote and alluring land of snow-capped mountains, where you'll discover medieval tower-houses and a fascinating local dialect
Get active on hikes to Georgia's Shkhara glacier in and Soganli Mountain in Turkey
Learn the art of preparing delicious kubdari during a cooking demonstration
Visit the picturesque lake of Uzungol, often described as the Switzerland of Turkey
You will reach a significant altitude on this trip (2,200 metres) at the highest point so a good level of fitness is required for hiking. That said, alternative activities can often be arranged for those who would prefer not to hike.
This trip uses a mix of public and private transportation. While the latter is convenient, taking public transport in Georgia and Turkey is a great way to experience daily life as the locals do.
Photography of sensitive sites such as military bases and power installations is prohibited. You maybe charged a photo fee at some tourist site. Be aware of cultural sensitivities when photographing churches and other religious sites.
As we don't want you to miss anything, the itinerary is densely packed, so you'll be busy. There will, however, be plenty of free time and opportunity for independent exploration.
On some days, there is a lot of walking between sights and around towns and cities. While it can be tiring to be on your feet, this is the best way to see a destination. Make sure you bring comfortable walking shoes with good support.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding some nights in guesthouses.
2. Please note there is a chance of potential changes to the itinerary due to heavy rain, flooding and snow at higher altitudes, which often affect roads and bridges, making travel difficult or impossible (particularly in remote areas). Landslides are also common.
3. Following recent safety incidents we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Turkey before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page - www.intrepidtravel.com/au/travel-alerts
4. The flight from Trabzon to Istanbul is included in the trip price.
5. High altitudes will be experienced during this trip of up to 2200m above sea level.
6. Your leader will change at the border on this trip.