Experience the essence of China from Beijing to Hong Kong
This in-depth tour has proven to be one of the most popular we offer in China. Experience the Middle Kingdom as you take in the major tourist attractions in China and visit some of its lesser-known sites. See the majestic splendour of Beijing, visit the Great Wall of China and discover the Terracotta Warriors before travelling to Hong Kong to soak up the electric vibe. From sizzling Sichuan dishes in Chengdu and a cruise along the Yangzi River to the tranquillity of the Buddhist temples in Emei Shan, experience the true essence of China - you won't be disappointed.
Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see it when face-to-face with thousands of Terracotta Warriors, walking the Great Wall (or encountering thousands of local tourists at the Forbidden City!)
Find peace in one of the holiest places in China as you trek around Emei Shan and stay in a monastery, waking to the sound of drums and morning prayers
Learn about the endangered (and adorable) giant pandas’ struggle for survival, and get up close to these unique creatures in Chengdu
Take a tourist boat trip through the iconic scenery of the Yangzi River, which meanders through the dramatic Three Gorges
This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
The trip covers a fair amount of ground to enable you to see some of China's biggest cities and main highlights, so be prepared for some long travel days.
With walks on the Great Wall and up Emei Shan, you'll need a reasonable level of fitness. Comfortable walking shoes with good support and grip are essential.
This trip includes stays in a range of accommodation from hotels, guesthouses, monasteries and riverboats to trains. While they might not always be as comfortable as home, they allow you to really encounter local life and experience Chinese hospitality on a true adventure.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our China Experience trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding the overnight train journeys and Yangzi River boat trip.
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class for 2 journeys and in 4-berth 'soft-sleeper' for one. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities. An upgrade to all Soft Sleeper train compartments is available on this trip.
4. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
5. Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster, civil unrest or an outbreak of bird flu) necessitate a change to our planned route.
7. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, our Beijing Office can be reached on Tel: +861064067328
Our China Experience trips score an average of 4.8 out of 5 based on 51 reviews in the last year.
This trip is an introduction to china you will never forget in fact it will make you want to come back and see more of what this incredible country has to offer. If you have any preconceived ideas of china i can tell you that they are more than likely wrong. Tip; Pack light the smaller the bag the better
Review submitted 22 Jun 2017
We have not been disappointed in any of the Intrepid trips we have taken. You do have to pull your weight when needed. Tip.Travel as lightly as possible as you will most likely have to carry all your gear at some time.
Review submitted 20 Jun 2017