Look beyond the traditional images of Communist propaganda and Soviet architecture for a mind- and eye-opening travel experience to North Korea. Be one of the few to discover the real life behind the tightly controlled borders of this isolated nation.
Understand the standoff between north and south at the demilitarised zone
Discover North Korea’s beauty in the ‘valley of ten thousand falls’
Ride the world’s deepest metro alongside the locals while patriotic music fills the air
The DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) visa fee is 50 Euros (This is included in the trip cost)
Please provide the following Documents to your booking agent no later than 60 days prior to departure. Please note any forms listed below will be given to you by your booking agent for you to complete and return.
• Colour passport copy
• Colour passport photo x4
• Completed Application Form
• Completed Journalist Form
• Please make sure you have a double entry Chinese visa and valid insurance which can cover their trip to the DPRK.
• Unfortunately US citizens can not travel on our itinerary due to the fact that we depart North Korea via train and US citizens can only enter/exit North Korea via plane. Please chat to your booking agent about trying to fly out of North Korea instead of following our itinerary.
• For Applicants based in Hong Kong, we need a reference letter from his/her company as well as a scan of the person’s HK ID card is required to process the application.
• For applicants based in France, please include an email address as the DPRK consulate in Paris will need to contact them.
Please understand that information and processes can change so for the most up to date information please check with your local Consulate or Embassy.
Australia: Yes - in advance
Belgium: Yes - in advance
Canada: Yes - in advance
Germany: Yes - in advance
Ireland: Yes - in advance
Netherlands: Yes - in advance
New Zealand: Yes - in advance
South Africa: Yes - in advance
Switzerland: Yes - in advance
United Kingdom: Yes - in advance
USA: Yes - in advance
MAINLAND CHINA & HONG KONG:
Most nationalities require a visa for mainland China. You must obtain your Chinese visa in advance. It is not possible to get a visa on arrival and Chinese visas can be difficult to obtain outside your country of residence. You may be able to apply for your visa in Hong Kong If you have time here before your trip departs. You will need a Double Entry Tourist for your trip valid for 30 days. Hong Kong is not considered part of mainland China for immigration purposes and most nationalities do not require a visa. Please check with an embassy for specific requirements.
Please make sure if you have a transit anywhere in China before arriving at your destination that you check with your Airline to see if the transit will use your Chinese Visa. You need to make sure your China visa will cover you for any transits made.
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR VISA APPLICATION:
Please list the destinations you will visit in China in chronological order on your application form. Do not mention Tibet anywhere on your application form. While these areas are not off limits to travellers, they are considered politically sensitive, so including these on your visa application could lead to significant delays or your visa being denied.
Name of Host/Inviting Organisation:
Intrepid Travel Beijing Co. Ltd.
606 InterChina Commercial Building
33 Dengshikou Street
+86 10 6406 8022
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR VISA APPLICATION:
* Hotel List - this will be sent to you by Intrepid or your travel agent at time of booking. If you do not receive this please email us with your booking number and trip details.
* Official invitation from licensed Chinese tourism company - this will be provided together with the Hotel List to all travellers regardless of whether it is required by the embassy or not
* Itinerary – please print off a copy of your specific trip itinerary from our website www.intrepidtravel.com and include it with your application, marking the dates you will visit each destination if required
* Photocopy of your passport
* Passport size photo (up to 4 may be required)
* Please check with the embassy for any other specific requirements
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TRAIN TICKET BOOKINGS
Intrepid requires you send the following at the time of booking, at least 30 days prior to travel:
*Clear, colour copy of the personal details page of your passport
Please make sure that this copy is for the passport that you will be travelling on. If you have to renew your passport after booking please notify us as soon as you have a new passport number and bring your old passport with you on your trip as well.
Tour guides and drivers are expecting tips.
Internet access is very limited.
Only if you insert local SIM card.
It’s recommended that you use a hotel or restaurant’s toilet. Packing your own toilet paper is also a good idea.
It’s not recommended to drink the tap water. Fill a reusable water bottle or canteen with filtered water.
No. Only cash is accepted. USD, Euro, RMB (Chinese Yuan) are widely accepted in hotels, bars, restaurants and tourist shops.
Very limited. Make sure to bring enough cash with you, and keep in secure place.
Yes. Travel insurance is required.
Please note these dates are for 2017. For a current list of public holidays in North Korea go to: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/north-korea/public-holidays
Intrepid is committed to travelling in a way that is respectful of local people, their culture, local economies and the environment. It's important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be appropriate in another. Please keep this in mind while travelling.