Visit China's Tiger Leaping Gorge on a trip departing from Kunming.
Experience the breathtaking natural scenery, historical attractions and rural lifestyles for which the Yunnan province is renowned for on this active trip through Tiger Leaping Gorge. One of Asia's finest geological wonders, the gorge is best beheld from the winding hiking trails high above the Yangzi River – so prepare for some trekking! Staggering panoramas of mist-draped mountain peaks, deep ravines and gushing river gorges await those willing to raise their heartbeats a little, while some time in the chilled-out towns of Dali, Shaxi and Lijiang offer an excellent opportunity to mingle with locals.
A delightful snapshot of the past, Nuodeng is a lesser visited village on the old salt trading route where we begin our experience of Yunnan's traditional culture
In Shaxi, you'll see one of the best preserved examples of a traditional town. Stay in a friendly, family-run guesthouse and sample some authentic local cuisine
Experience the legendary Tiger Leaping Gorge, with two days of exploration of one of China's most breathtaking hiking trails
Picture perfect Lijiang is a must-see destination in Yunnan equally popular for its cobble stone streets and Naxi culture as its recent rebirth as a hot spot for domestic travellers
Travel like a local, on public buses and sleeper trains. It's the perfect opportunity to interact with people and take in the charming provincial scenery
You've never tried anything like Yunannese food! Get a different perspective on Chinese cuisine with the unique flavours of the local soup, noodle, mushroom and even cheese dishes.
This trip visits some destinations that are at high altitude (above 2,800 metres), and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information on this.
There are some long days of travel on public transport. While this is great for meeting locals and enjoying the countryside, it can be tiring, as conditions may be simpler than what you're accustomed to and may involve multiple vehicle changes to get to our destination.
There's a mix of accommodation on this trip – overnight trains, guesthouses and hotels. Keep in mind that conditions and facilities will vary, and in the simpler places we may have cold water only and shared bathrooms.
Hiking Tiger Leaping Gorge is an unforgettable experience, with some truly awe-inspiring views. But if you're not up to a rigourous two days of walking through often tricky terrain, or have a fear of heights, you might like to reconsider. Some paths along the mountainside are extremely narrow, with a steep drop and few protective barriers. For those who aren't up for the most active inclusions on this trip, there is the option of staying in the guesthouse in town or travelling by road along the upper gorge (at own expense).
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Yunnan & Tiger Leaping Gorge trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding the overnight train.
2. A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
3. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
4. Parts of this trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude. A Passenger Self Assessment Form is required for this trip.
5. Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
6. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, Intrepid's Beijing office can be reached on Tel: +861064067328
7. Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster or civil unrest) necessitate a change to our planned route.
Our Yunnan & Tiger Leaping Gorge trips score an average of 4.6 out of 5 based on 10 reviews in the last year.
Excellent trip in less popular part of China with Tiger Leaping Gorge being the spectacular highlight
Review submitted 31 Jul 2017
The Tiger Leaping Gorge trip is not to be missed. The scenery is stunning, the trek is a fairly easy one, and the guest houses are charming as are the families that run them. The small villages and local Bai and Naxi cultures are interesting and take you back in time. I loved this trip.
Review submitted 23 Jul 2017