Travel on the world's finest railway from Russia to China
Come along on an awe-inspiring adventure traversing three great nations - Russia, Mongolia and China. From the opulence of Moscow and St Petersburg to the grace of imperial Beijing, travel along the most famous railway in the world through the heartland of Siberia and the vast grassy steppe of Mongolia - this trip showcases rail travel at its finest.
Climb aboard and discover Russia, Mongolia and China on one of the world’s greatest and most epic journeys
Share in traditional tastes with a visit to the home of one of our local friends – indulge in a meal of hearty regional flavours and assist the family in baking pastries
Live life on the shores of magnificent Lake Baikal in a Siberian village
Experience a traditional Russian banya – a refreshing steam, wash, and birch branch ‘massage’
Stay in the Mongolian wilderness local-style with an overnight in a tourist ger camp
Discover Mongolia's rich cultural heritage, from the country’s original Buddhist temple to the city built by Genghis Khan
Cross 8,000 kilometres to end in buzzing Beijing and discover China’s ancient past and contemporary culture
This trip is based around long train journeys, including a 4 night trip from Moscow to Irkutsk and 2 nights from Irkutsk to Ulaanbaatar. Conditions are simple but comfortable – an authentic experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals. There is a toilet/bathroom and compartments with bunks/berths. Please note that we travel 2nd class on all overnight trains (4 people per compartment). While we always try to have our groups staying together, there may be times where due to ticket availability the group will be staying in different compartments and carriages.
As well as overnight train travel, we experience a variety of different transport types on this journey including public & private bus, metro and of course plenty of exploring on foot.
Some of the accommodation along the way is basic, staying in ger camps, local guesthouses and homestays with limited facilities. Some facilities are shared and some accommodation has only cold water. This all adds up to a real and authentic adventure.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding nights on the train, homestays and ger camp.
2. Please note in order for our local operator to book train tickets in Russia, we require the following information at time of booking or no later than 60 days prior to departure.
• Passengers full name (First and Last)
• Full Passport Details (number, expiry, issued)
• City of Birth
3. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, our St Petersburg Office can be reached on Tel: +7 911 7033155
4. Please also make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster or civil unrest) necessitate a change to our planned route.
5. To avoid disappointment we recommend that you book any theatre performances that you wish to attend in Moscow or St Petersburg in advance.
Our Trans-Mongolian Experience trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 11 reviews in the last year.