Embark on an adventure in Tibet, travelling between Lhasa and Kathmandu
Join an adventure across the top of the world. From the serene former home of the Dalai Lama in Lhasa to the ancient narrow laneways of Kathmandu, traverse the world's highest mountain range and delve into the heart of Tibetan Buddhism. Mingle with locals, rub shoulders with pilgrims and take in spectacular scenery – this is most definitely Tibet and all its treasures uncovered.
Flanked by the majestic Himalayan Mountains, Kathmandu is nothing short of a legendary destination. Its bustling alleyways are filled with monks, incense, goats and sacred cows; its temples steeped in symbolism
In Lhasa, discover the dazzling former home of the Dalai Lama and the enchanting atmosphere of the pilgrim-filled Jokhang Temple, the holiest in the Tibetan Buddhist world
Each leg of a Tibetan road trip seems more incredible than the last. Climb stunning passes, drive along the sides of misty mountains, and take in jaw-dropping views of skies and lakes of perfect blue
Accompany devoted pilgrims on their kora (prayer circuit), spinning prayer wheels on a clockwise walk around the perimeter of the vast Tashilhunpo Monastery
An overnight stay at Everest Base Camp, in the midst of the world's tallest peaks, is truly an experience to remember
This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information.
This itinerary is operated at a leisurely pace. It's a combination of free time and time spent with the group –perfect for travellers who like a bit of flexibility.
There are some quite long days of travel, which can be tiring. On the other hand, the scenery is absolutely amazing, so sit back, relax and soak it up.
Steeped in myth, spirituality and of course remote mountainous terrain, Tibet is a great place to visit if you're an independent, open-minded traveller.
Note that in recent years there have been some restrictions on certain nationalities being able to travel on specific departures. Tibet has also been known to be closed down to foreign tourism without warning.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
1. In order for us to apply for your Tibet entry permit and purchase your flight to Lhasa, you must provide a scanned colour copy of the personal details page of your passport to your booking agent no later than 30 days prior to the start date of your trip.
2. Please be aware that in recent years there have been times when restrictions on nationalities being able to travel on specific departures have been implemented or Tibet has been closed to foreign tourists without warning.
3. Do not apply for a Chinese visa in advance. We travel to China on a group visa and any existing visa in your passport will be cancelled.
4. Due to the demands of travelling at high altitudes a Passenger Self Assessment Form is required for this trip.
5. Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster, civil unrest or an outbreak of bird flu) necessitate a change to our planned route.
6. The two internal flights on this trip are included in the trip price.
7. Trip change since Apr 2017 - due to visa regulation change by the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, we now need 2 full days in Kathmandu for the embassy to process the group visa. Therefore, we have to make adjustment to the itinerary to meet this new visa process. No included activities have been affected though and we've added extra included activities in the extra time we have in Kathmandu. Details please see day to day itinerary.
Our Tibet Uncovered trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 3 reviews in the last year.
When you go with Intrepid you get the best trip for your money. You get to do things and see things, that most trips do not include. And you always feel safe.
Review submitted 15 Jul 2017
Just completed Intrepids Tibet Uncovered Tour, wow what an amazing experience. From Tibetan culture, monastery's, temples, the majestic Himalayas to standing at the base of Mt Everest. Fantastic tour leader Khandol and tour companions from around the world made Tibet a country I will never forget.
Review submitted 14 May 2017