While you’re hanging out waiting for your Intrepid USA road trip to kick off, here’s some great tips on how to spend your time in the City of Angels from Intrepid’s own Carly Wallis…
“Los Angeles is full of excesses so I had a fabulous time indulging. Whilst not famous for being the prettiest of cities, LA is generally a starting point for journeys in the west and it is well worth a few days if you can handle the pace. Here are my top tips for a great time in Los Angeles:
1. Any trip has to include Hollywood, see a film at the Chinese Mann Theatre – you might even be lucky enough to be there for a premiere, and definitely find your favourite movie star’s footprints in the sidewalk. A few hours should be enough to dedicate to this area of LA.
2. Spend the day at a theme park. Of course Disneyland is famous for the tea cup and saucer ride and Mickey Mouse ears, but if you want a little more action, I recommend Six Flags Magic Mountain Rollercoaster Park with the world’s tallest and fastest ride. White knuckle stuff. A full day is needed to make the trip to Anaheim and then experience the rides – including time to recover after each ride. I caught a local bus all the way there for a couple of dollars.
3. Make the trip out to the NBC Studios in Burbank – there are local buses from Hollywood. In fact if you spend any time in Hollywood, you might even be conscripted in the street to be in a studio audience – just look for people carrying clipboards. I saw the Jay Leno Show and That 70′s Show being filmed. It is free and a great night’s entertainment without sitting in front of the TV – well not technically anyway.
4. Visit a shopping mall. I know it sounds a little strange because you can do that at home, but going to the mall is a part of suburban life in America and you can really make a day of it. I recommend Del Amo Fashion Center – it is huge, has hundreds of shops and is a real experience for anyone not used to large scale retail. Be prepared for a lot of walking, a lot of eating and a lot of shopping.
5. Spend a day at Venice Beach. I recommend hiring a bike or some roller blades and doing laps up and down the beach to people-watch. You know all those pictures of muscular men working out on the beach? Well it happens here. There are funky shops and great places to eat here. The graffiti is picture worthy. If you are lucky you will be there for a heated beachside basketball game, a dance or beauty competition.
6. Glam up and go to a night spot- the niteclubs in LA can be glamorous and expensive but well worth it for the experience. Do your research though so you find the ‘hot’ place in town. Or head to Jazz Bar, there are some famous venues in LA.
7. See if you can get tickets to a Lakers game at the Staples Centre. Tickets are expensive but the experience of the thunderous applause and cheers, the calibre of the cheerleaders – and of course the players, is really like nothing you have seen before (if you are not from America).
So there are my top tips for a great time in LA – you’d need to add a few days to your itinerary to take it all in but it’s worth it to make sure you add these iconic places to your USA experience!”