From Beijing to Xi'an, Yangshuo to Shanghai: this is China at its most epic
This is pretty much the China highlights tour: you’ve got the Great Wall just outside of Beijing, the Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an, epic outdoorsyness in Yangshuo and the high life in China’s biggest city, Shanghai. Just remember, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and that giant panda all descend from China and were all awesome at kung fu. So take this trip, pay close attention and you could be too. Maybe.
Get 20% OFF all trips when you travel before 31 March 2018. Hurry - offer only available until midnight on 25th September 2017.Terms & Conditions
Visit the Great Wall of China! Walk the walk.
Travel how the locals travel and make friends on our 2 overnight train routes!
See the historic Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an
Check out beautiful Yangshuo and try the local delicacy "Beer Fish"
Walk along the famous Bund waterfront in Shanghai and visit the many rooftop bars of this bustling city.
Eat your way through the night food markets in Beijing, what will you dare eat?
A reasonable level of fitness is required for this trip.
A lot of time is spent on walking around a city or town so please bring comfortable walking shoes.
You must be able to carry your luggage up stairs, onto public transport and to and from Hotels.
We use a mix of transport on this itinerary: Train (Overnight Sleeper), Bus, Metro and Plane. Which allows us to interact with the locals.
This itinerary is far from a hand-holding, all inclusive trip, so enjoy the freedom and indulge in some yum cha!
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Essential China trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available to purchase for this trip. Please note overnight trains are excluded.
2. This itinerary is far from a hand-holding, all inclusive trip, so enjoy the freedom and indulge in some yum cha!
3. In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, our Gecko's Beijing Office can be reached on Tel: +861064067328
4. Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster, civil unrest or an outbreak of bird flu) necessitate a change to our planned route.
5. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class, which are six bunk beds set out in an open cubicle compartment. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilet facilities (usually one with a toilet seat and one squat-style in each compartment) are available on all trains, but there are no showers or baths. There are urns or thermos flasks for making hot beverages. It is quite possible that our group may be divided over a series of different compartments and we may also have to share our compartments with other passengers on the train. Train travel is an integral part of the China travel experience and offers some of the best chances of meeting and making friends with the locals.