Explore Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan as you travel from Xi'an to Istanbul
Get ready for a massive Overland adventure from the metropolitan mammoth of Xi'an to Istanbul’s bustling bazaars. Travel through some of Asia’s most remote, wild and unique wildernesses along the legendary Silk Road from China. See Istanbul’s famous blue mosque; pass through Uzbekistan’s soaring mountain vistas; tour Xi’an’s famous Terracotta Warriors;This adventure encompasses the very best of Central Asia. If you're longing for an epic overland odyssey Xi'an to Istanbul is just for you.
Marvel at the Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an
Admire the Buddhist art at the Mogao Caves
Cross the infamous Torugart Pass from Kyrgyzstan to China
See the dramatic glaciers adorning the Ala Archa Canyon
Admire quaint Karakol
Meet local shepherds on a yurt stay
Explore the historic town of Bukhara
Walk the ancient walls of Khiva
Discover the romance of the Silk Road in Samarkand
Explore the hub of East and West in Istanbul
Central Asia is a very remote destination, perfect for intrepid travellers in the true sense of the word! You will venture well away from cities, right off the beaten track.
Accommodation may be more basic than what you are used to, and shower and toilet facilities will be limited in some places. But the rewards of living in true local style in this far-out part of the world are immeasurable.
There will be some long days of driving, often over rough terrain, which can be tiring and will require patience. Take the chance to sit back, marvel at the scenery and embrace the slower pace of life here.
1. This trip visits multiple countries for which visas can be difficult and time consuming to obtain. Please ensure that you have enough time to apply for all visas you require before booking this trip.
2. Some destinations visited on this trip do not have consulates in Australia and New Zealand. We recommend that travellers from these countries book the WESTBOUND itinerary of this trip where some visas can be obtained en route.
3. Please note that this trip requires minimum numbers to depart, and may be cancelled up until 56 days prior to departure. The places showing on the dates and availability page are an indication only so please contact Intrepid to check if your preferred date will depart before making any final arrangements, such as booking non-changeable flights.
4. This is a combination trip and your leader and group composition may change along the way
5. Please note this Intrepid trip is operated by our experienced local partners Dragoman Overland. Your departure will be run in a Dragoman vehicle with a Dragoman crew.