Visit South America and travel through Peru and Bolivia's highlights.
Travel from Lima to La Paz and explore the best of Peru and Bolivia on this adventure through ancient ruins, breathtaking scenery and colourful market towns. From the mysterious Inca ruins of the highlands and the lush jungles and exotic wildlife of the Amazon to the vast expanses of Lake Titicaca and the Salar de Uyuni, discover the highlights of this fascinating part of South America.
This trip requires Inca Trail Permits. View permit availability here.
Get 10% OFF all trips* departing between November 1, 2017 and March 31, 2018! Book by September 28th.Terms & Conditions
Experience the untouched world of the Amazon rainforest. Wander along jungle trails on the lookout for monkeys, parrots, otters and caymans, and sleep in a nature lodge lit by candles and kerosene lamps
Marvel at the mother of all Incan cities, magical Machu Picchu. Enjoy a guided tour of the ruins and free time to explore on your own
The floating reed islands of Uros on Lake Titicaca are a marvel of concept, construction and history. Take a boat tour on the world's highest navigable lake and stay with a local family there
See the many different sides to Bolivia in La Paz and let the city’s weird and wacky Witches Market cast a spell over you
Discover the heart of Bolivia in the elegant colonial architecture and immaculately landscaped gardens of historical Sucre
Empty, haunting and spectacular, the laws of earthly physics bend on the surreal Salar de Uyuni saltpan – experience it on a three-day 4WD adventure across the rocky Atacama Desert
- This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information on this
- There's a lot of walking involved, and if you do the Inca trail the hiking can be strenuous. This trip is recommended for those with a moderate level of fitness; however, there are also a few different trail options to suit different interests and physical capabilities.
- Those who walk the Inca Trail will be camping with basic facilities. It's not exactly the Hilton, but the rewards of the trek are many!
- The Amazon jungle can be very hot and humid, so it's important to drink plenty of water and wear light cotton clothing. Be sure to bring tropical-strength insect repellant.
- You'll be spending a lot of time in a 4WD crossing some bumpy surfaces. This is the best way to see the sights in and around Uyuni, and is all part of the adventure.
- In Bolivia (especially in Uyuni), sometimes things don't go to plan. For example, an attraction may be closed for the day with no notice or reason. Although this doesn't happen very often, please be prepared for the possibility.
- Making your way across the Andean Desert and salt flats isn’t exactly luxurious. Temperatures in the area can be very cold, especially at night, so bring warm clothes with you. Meals are simple, toilet facilities are basic, showers can be cold and the multi-share accommodation is dormitory-style. This is all part of the adventure. Without a doubt, this amazing experience will be one of the highlights of your trip to South America.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2018 - 31 December 2018
INCA TRAIL PERMITS
Inca Trail permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you.
If Inca Trail permits are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Inca Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/en/inca-quarry-trail
The Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February you will be automatically booked to hike the Inca Quarry Trail.
Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made. Without this prior warning, local fees may apply.
A Single Supplement to have your own room is available on this trip however excludes nights 2 & 3 (Amazon Jungle), 12 (Late Titicaca, Homestay), 17 & 18 (Salar de Uyuni & The desert) where you will be in shared accommodation.
The excursion to Uyuni salt lake is on shared basis and your group size may be larger than12 travellers.
BOLIVIAN VISA FOR U.S CITIZENS
Nationals from the United States need a visa to enter Bolivia and you we highly recommend you obtain this visa in advance from your nearest Bolivian consulate or Embassy. Not obtaining the visa in advance is likely to cause long delays at the border.
Please see the visa information on these trip notes for more information."
This trip is a combination of two of our most popular departures. As such the make-up of your group and your tour leader may change on day 14.
Our Explore Peru & Bolivia trips score an average of 4.4 out of 5 based on 5 reviews in the last year.
Excellent company Well organised Comfortable travel Wonderful experiences
Review submitted 17 Sep 2017
Please more local places to eat and cater more for Vegetarian options. Also home stay to be checked and see if the community people are ready for everything
Review submitted 04 May 2017