For over a thousand years, people have embarked on pilgrimages along El Camino de Santiago as an act of Christian spiritual devotion.
For Intrepid co-founder, Darrell Wade, the experience of walking on the Camino in Northern Spain was perhaps more on the self-gratifying or pleasurable side…
“Lest we forget” is our heartfelt pledge to all the people who have paid the highest price in defense of their country’s borders or beliefs.
Historic sites around the world are important reminders of what took place at less peaceful times. These war memorials help us understand what people were forced to endure and bring to life the tragic events of our past.
Among the thousands of things to see on holiday in Budapest, I found one that is probably not so obvious, even though you walk through them every day.
I’m talking about doors! The capital of Hungary is an open gallery, a perfect example of well preserved and finely restored buildings from different centuries and styles dating back over a thousand years.
From contemporary museums and coffee houses to its imperial history and impressive architecture, the capital of Austria is a city that is worthy of your time and attention.
During her holiday in Austria, Tori Salman discovered that Vienna was also the perfect place to indulge in a lavish evening of local culture…
“Having descended the 343 steps of the intricate gothic tower of St Stephen’s Cathedral, or Stephansdom as it’s known locally, we were still gasping for breath in Stephansplatz when we were approached by a local, who was offering us a bargain price for a classical music performance that evening.
Travel shows are a great way to get to know your tour operator. So let’s meet up soon in Ireland and England!
We want to make sure you have the best possible experience on your Holiday – before you go, as well as on your return. Plus planning is half the fun and a big part of the journey, so we’ll have loads to talk about.
As Russia prepares to host the Winter Olympics in February, we hear from Intrepid Group Leader Boris ‘Bob’ Golodets about why he loves this time of year in his homeland…
“Winter is probably one of the best seasons to go on holiday to Russia. Let’s face it, we have winter at least half of the year and the country mainly was designed to survive in cold temperatures. As premier Putin once said to foreign guests, “You can feel comfortable in Russia in all kinds of the weather – just dress appropriately!”
It seems many travellers either love or hate their hammam experience, but either way a tour of Turkey wouldn’t be complete without getting your kit off to try this local bathing tradition, as Margaret Morse explains…
“I asked Gaye about Turkish baths. She smiled and said that would be a great way to unwind from the air flight over. She phoned friends who knew where there was one open on a Sunday and made arrangements for us to go. I had been keen to go to one of these, but not game to go with a stranger, so I was very pleased she could take me.
With a history of human habitation that dates back over 400,000 years, Istanbul is the type of city where you could spend a lifetime uncovering its highlights and hidden charms. But what if you’ve only got one day, where would you start to explore this melting-pot of cultures and civilisations?…
8.30am – Dolmabahce Palace
After a quick breakfast head for the Dolmabahce to admire the sheer opulence while wandering through its gold and jewel-adorned rooms.
As a holiday destination, we reckon the sea gets a bit of a rough deal.
Together with its buddies (lakes, rivers and bays), the ocean makes up 70 percent of the Earth’s surface. Yet, when it comes to planning a holiday adventure – the other 30 percent seems to get all the love.
So if you like to be near nice beaches, swimming pools and sea views, why not take that next step (or splash) and head for the high seas, low lakes and long rivers of the world on one of these epic aquatic adventures…