- The Intrepid Experience
- About Intrepid
- Booking Intrepid
Media - Media Releases
This is the fifth time that Intrepid’s Carbon Management Plan has been recognised, having previously received:
- 2011 Winner, Global Tourism Business Award, Tourism for Tomorrow Awards
- 2011 Highly Commended, Best Low Carbon Initiative, Virgin Holidays Responsible Travel Awards 2011
- 2010 Finalist The International Ecotourism Society Innovation Awards
- 2009 Budget Travel Magazine's 'Extra Mile Award' for Intrepid Travel's Carbon Offset Trips
The Preservation category is awarded to a travel company for, ‘Championing heritage, greening the planet’.
Judges acknowledged Intrepid Travel’s achievement of becoming Carbon Neutral in 2010 by reaching ambitious targets to neutralize emissions from its offices, trips and flights. As a result, in 2010/2011, Intrepid Travel's businesses produced a total of 2,887 tonnes of CO2 emissions, which have been offset. Intrepid also purchased $232,200 of carbon credits to offset trips and passenger flights.
Intrepid’s commitment to travel that takes travellers to the heart of a destination without having a negative impact was also highlighted by the judges. Its use of local leaders, public transport wherever possible and real life experiences such as homestays were highlighted.
The judges also mentioned The Intrepid Foundation, which celebrates 10 years of giving in 2012 and in this time has given over AUD $3 million to community projects around the world. Intrepid Travel pays all the administration costs of The Intrepid Foundation and matches donations dollar for dollar.*
* Up to $400,000 in each financial year and a maximum of AUD$5,000 in total per donor in each financial year.Saturday, September 15, 2012
About Intrepid Travel
Intrepid Travel is one of the world's leading small group adventure tour operators. It offers authentic and fun experiences that give travellers the chance to get under the skin of the places they visit, with more than 1,000 itineraries to more than 100 countries worldwide. Intrepid Travel trips are designed to go off the beaten track, meet the locals and travel in an unconventional way, joining locals on their transport, in their markets and even in their homes.
For more information
For more information please visit www.intrepidtravel.com